Your teeth are among the most outstanding facial features. They are noticeable when you smile, talk and laugh. Imperfections such as a missing tooth may interfere with your general dental outlook and make you self-conscious every time you are around people. You do not have to hide your smile. Visit your specialist for the best Monterey, CA oral surgery to replace your missing tooth using a dental implant.
What are dental implants?
Implants are screw-like objects made from pure titanium. A dental implant acts as a tooth’s root in the jaw bone.
Types of dental implants include:
- Endosteal implants. These are the most common type of dental implants today. They are more stable and provide a more natural feel after installation. However, this type of implant is only suitable if you have enough bone density and your jawbone is healthy.
- Subperiosteal. This implant is rarely used today. This type of implant is used on patients with less bone density since they contain a metal frame placed beneath the gum. You may require two visits for the installation of subperiosteal implants. They are, however, not as stable as endosteal implants.
- Zygomatic implants. These implants are implanted in the zygomatic bone and are suitable for patients with less bone density.
Dental implants are replacements for teeth lost to an injury, dental problems such as gum disease, and tooth decay.
What happens during a consultation?
The general examination is vital before undergoing the surgical procedure. Your doctor may take dental x-rays and 3D images of your teeth and review your medical history. Your specialist may prescribe antibiotics to prevent infections if you have orthopedic implants or heart conditions.
During a consultation, your specialist may also discuss with you some of the risks you may develop after surgery. For example:
- Dental implants in the upper jaw may protrude into the sinus cavities and result in sinus problems.
- You may obtain an injury in the surrounding blood vessels and teeth.
- Nerve damage.
- You may develop an infection at the implant site.
Benefits of dental implants
Besides the downsides of dental implants, you may also experience several benefits after oral surgery. For example:
- Dental implants complete your smile and improve your dental appearance
- They cause no discomfort. Implants are embedded into your jawbone which grows over time and provides more stability.
- Improve your speech. Teeth help you produce certain sounds. When one or more of your teeth are missing, you may experience difficulties pronouncing particular words.
- No food restrictions. After getting implants, you can eat chewy and crunchy foods.
- Boosts your self-image and confidence.
- They offer a more natural look since the prosthetics are custom designed to fit your dental outlook.
- Enhances the growth of new bone and prevents bone loss. Roots in your teeth send signals which cause re-growth of bone. When you have a missing tooth, your body reabsorbs bone in the place of the missing tooth. Dental implants promote the growth of your jaw bone around your missing tooth.
- Dental implants last for a long time.
A dental implant is an excellent choice for the replacement of a missing tooth. If you need a tooth substitute, book a session with your dental specialist at Perio & Implant Centers of Monterey Bay – Silicon Valley for dental implants to improve your smile.