There’s no denying that car accidents are unfortunate. A lot of these accidents can be attributed to neglect and disregard for safety and are often avoidable. Every year, a considerable number of such accidents, including those involving commercial trucks are reported in Washington. Right after an accident, it can be hard to think straight, and it makes sense to contact a reliable Seattle personal injury lawyer for advice. Below are some of the common mistakes that every driver should avoid.
- Avoid running away. Don’t be tempted to flee the scene, regardless of fault and other circumstances. You should file a Motor Vehicle Collision Report if the crash resulted in injury to any person, or/and there was property or vehicle damage of $1,000 or more. In any case, you should get medical help for anyone in need, at the accident site.
- No not accept fault. Do not say anything about fault or sign a document related to accepting fault. You don’t have to apologize to other drivers either, because there is no clarity right away as to who or what caused the accident. If the claims adjuster calls you, make sure that you don’t agree to anything until you have spoken to your lawyer.
- Don’t miss out on important information. If your feel okay after an accident, make sure that you take as much evidence as possible. Take photos and videos of the accident site, get contact details of other drivers and witnesses, which can come in handy for filing an insurance claim later.
- Not seeing a doctor. Even if your injuries don’t seem severe, you should still a doctor. Sometimes, the impact of injuries may not be immediately apparent, so getting medical attention is extremely important.
- Not hiring an attorney. The aftermath of a car accident is often confusing, but legal advice at the right time is crucial for seeking a fair settlement. If the other party is at fault, the claims adjuster may call you right away, and the settlement offer is usually lower than what someone deserves. Don’t accept anything or agree to any offer, unless you have spoken to a reliable lawyer.
There are many known law firms in Seattle that deal with personal injury lawsuits in particular, and their lawyers will usually offer a free case evaluation. Make sure that you meet a personal injury lawyer before taking the final call. Also, check if the lawyer will work on a contingency basis.