What Are The Causes And Symptoms Of Lump Bump Disease?
A good heel is essential for our overall health. Pump bump is also known as Haglund’s Deformity which is mainly caused due to wearing tight or ill-fitting shoes. This disease appears to cause a bony bump on the back of the heel bind. It is one type of foot exostosis which is caused due to the new growth of bone on the top of the existing bone. Some people experience it one foot while some in both the feet. Diagnosing pump bumps can be tricky sometimes as the symptoms are similar to other conditions. Here in this article
- Regular pain on the back of the heel while walking.
- A small or medium-sized bump on the same area.
- Sometimes it can also appear to be red or swelling in a particular area.
- Some people also notice blisters and calluses in the area, making it difficult to walk.
How to treat Haglund’s Deformity
When someone faces any of the above-mentioned symptoms, he/she should immediately consult a doctor for a diagnosis. The treatment of this disease includes pain relief and taking the pressure if the heels areas.
- A person suffering from a pump bump is advised to wear lower-back shoes which will not create pressure on the affected area.
- NSAIDs or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as Advil, Motrin IB or aspirin, are recommended in such cases by the experts.
- To get relief from swelling, the experts advise icing the area often.
- Ultrasound treatments are effective in such cases.
- One can wear heel pads so that the pressure gets reduced from the shoes.
- Wearing orthotics can be effective in such cases. Noninvasive therapies can be effective in pain-relieving.
Haglund’s Deformity cannot be avoided in all cases. But if a person takes care of some of the simple facts, they can prevent it at the very first stage. Here are some of the precautionary measures that can help in preventing the disease from getting worse.
- Prefer wearing shoes that have open backs especially those who are already suffering from bunions, tendinitis, and any other foot diseases.
- Avoid wearing too many hard and heel shoes that cause discomfort to the feet.
- One should always stretch perfectly before and after exercise for the perfect stretching of the Achilles tendon.
- Haglund’s Deformity may get worse if not treated on time. Keep in touch with a health consultant who will better know the symptoms and conditions.
The doctors suggest surgery only when the symptoms cannot be reduced with non-surgical treatments. The ankle surges perform different types of surgery depending on the condition of the patient. Conventional surgeries are proven to give relief but endoscopic surgeries are also useful. It is a disease that most people can’t avoid in many cases. Exercises are also recommended depending on the condition of the enlargement of the bone. Those who are experiencing discomfort on the heel area and thinking it may be caused by a pump bump should immediately consult a doctor. We all know that prevention is better than cure!